August 27, 2013

I dreamed of the day that I could bring this tutorial to you and it’s finally here… thanks to the brand new Martha Stewart Crafts Decoupage glue!!! Almost two years ago, we shared our ‘glam champagne glass‘ tutorial and now hundreds of crafters all over the internet have embellished simple glassware with glitter paint – but everyone wanted to use loose glitter. Guess what!?! Now you can!!! This radical new MSC decoupage glue is dishwasher safe!!! So grab your favorite shade of loose glitter and lets get crafting!!!

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0001.jpgPin

SUPPLIES :

• New! Martha Stewart Crafts Decoupage Glue in Gloss Finish (no other glue will do!)
  • Martha Stewart Crafts Glitter in your favorite color
  • your choice of glassware
  • Martha Stewart Crafts paint brush, sponge pouncer and stencil tape
  • rubbing alcohol and cotton ball

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0002.jpgPin

First, clean the area that you plan on glittering with rubbing alcohol.

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0003.jpgPin

Using stencil tape, mask off your choice of design.

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0004.jpgPin

In a small dish, add a little Martha Stewart Crafts Decoupage Glue in gloss finish. Using a foam or sponge pouncer, cover your choice of design area in the decoupage glue. Using a pouncer ensures an even coverage of glue that the glitter really responds to. CRAFTER TIP // If you paint this glue on with a brush – your glitter might show streak marks!

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0005.jpgPin

Carefully cover the entire decoupaged area with your choice of glitter!

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0006.jpgPin

As soon as you are happy with the glitter coverage, remove the stenciling tape. Let this first coat dry for at least an hour. Once dry, if there are areas that need a little extra glitter, paint a little more glue on and add more – but let that spot dry for another hour.

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0007.jpgPin

Save your spare glitter!!!

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0008.jpgPin

To ensure that NO loose glitter will come off your glass, paint two coats of the decoupage glue over the entire glittered area with dry time in between. Make sure to paint a little past the glitter line, this glue dries clear so you won’t see it. Painting past the glitter seals it completely.

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0009.jpgPin

Paint two coats to finish your glass, with at least an hour of dry time in between each coat.

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0010.jpgPin

/////  CARE  /////

Once these glasses air dry for 28 days they will be top-shelf dishwasher safe! If you glitter the bottom of the base, DON’T let it sit in water  - it will peel off! Do not soak in water for extended periods of time. Washing by hand is best.

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0011.jpgPin

There are so many different designs that you can do! Just make sure the glittered area avoids where your lips will touch the glass!

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0012.jpgPinST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0013.jpgPin

Which design and color will fit your special event!?!

ST_DIY_glittered_wine_champagne_glasses_0014.jpgPin

As with all our DIY tutorials, if you create one of our projects please send us a picture or a trackback – We Love Seeing Your Creativity! If you use Instagram or Twitter please use the hashtag #SomethingTurquoiseDIY. Happy Crafting!

something turquoise DIY

Photography: Studio 11 Weddings // DIY tutorial by: Jen | Something Turquoise // Martha Stewart Crafts Decoupage Glue in Gloss Finish, Martha Stewart Crafts glitter (in white gold, graphite and smoky quartz), MSC paint brushes, pouncer and stencil tape: Editors at Martha Stewart all available at Michaels // cheap glassware: Ikea // nail polish: Essie – Vested Interest

34 Responses to “DIY | glittered glassware”

1. […] I’ve been waiting a very long time to bring you this wonderful news!!! Ever since we featured this tutorial, internet crafters have been wanting to use ‘loose glitter’ and decoupage glue to make this project. Guess what!?! Now you can!!! Martha Stewart Crafts just came out with a brand new line of decoupage glue that is dishwasher safe… that’s right you won’t loose a sparkle! Here is our updated tutorial: Loose Glitter Glassware […]

2. Kayla says:

Hello! I am having problems painting on the glue after the glitter. I get glitter all over my brush and it smears on the glass. Any advice?

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Kayla, do you mean when you are sealing the layer of glitter? You probably need to make sure and shake ALL the loose glitter off the glass before you paint. Hope this helps :)

3. Kayla says:

Hi Jen! Yes, when sealing the glitter. I shake all the glitter off and tap around the glass to get any extra. But even after all that some loose glitter comes off when I touch it. Then when I try to paint the sealing layer a lot comes off on my brush and because of that it gets on parts of the glass it shouldn’t be on. Maybe I will try blowing the glitter off with an air duster…

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

You shouldn’t have to blow off the glitter with an air duster… have you let the glitter/glue coat dry at least an hour before moving on?? Also, you don’t need to paint the glass area with glue where there is no glitter :)

• Kayla says:

I actually let it dry overnight. The only area I’m pating that doesn’t have glitter is a little area above the glitter line to seal it in. I will try it again tonight and hopefully it works!

4. Kayla says:

The only area I’m **painting that doesn’t have glitter

5. Cynthia says:

Hi Jen,
    If I do not use a dishwasher does the “28 day” rule still apply? Can I wash it by hand without waiting 28 days? Thanks!

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Cynthia! If you want to use them and very gently hand-wash them, you only need to let them dry for 72 hours! Don’t let them sit in water and don’t really wash the glittered area just to be safe. **The finish isn’t guaranteed washable unless it’s dried for 28 days. Hope this helps!

6. Rachel says:

Hi are you able to glitter all the up to the top of the glass and it still be safe to drink from the glass, thanks x

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Rachel! No, you need to keep the glitter and decoupage glue away from where your lips will touch the glass!

7. SParkle says:

I have saw a few variations on these glasses recently where the glitter has been put straight to the top of the glass. Do you know how this could be achieved to ensure it would be safe to drink from?

8. Renee says:

Hi, These are insanely beautiful!!
    Just wondering if the glitter has to be Martha Stewart brand, or can it be any ol brand? Thanks :)

9. Courtney Broad says:

Hiya, do i have to use stencil tape or can i use like masking tape or something like that? Thank you :)

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Courtney! We prefer the stencil tape, but any type of ‘easy release’ painters tape is best… :)

10. charlene says:

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Charlene! I know they look really pretty with the glitter all the way up the glassware but it’s not recommended for glassware that you will actually use; if it’s decorative that’s fine. There is no decoupage glue on the market that is “food safe”, they are non-toxic, but not meant to touch our lips, food or drink. Hope this helps!

11. Letty says:

Hi Quick Question,
    I’m planning on doing this tutorial but customizing it with my bridesmaids initials, reading your comment feed, i see it says its ok for the glasses to be used within 72 hours correct?
    Is there anything else I can do to speed up the process in case they may need to wash the glassware? (by hand)

Thank you!

p.s. love your easy and creative tutorials! :)

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Letty! How fast you use them is completely up to you because technically you can use them once they are dry. BUT, if you want them to last and be dishwasher safe you need to follow the ‘curing’ techniques that can be found within the tutorial. You can always use them once they are dry, then VERY carefully wash the inside of the glasses only, then after your event cure them according to the instructions. Hope this helps!

12. Mandy says:

Hi there,
    Can anyone tell me where to get Martha Stewarts glue from for doing the glitter glasses please? I have looked on the net/eBay and can’t locate a stockist. I’ve used mod podge, but I’ve found that when I have washed the glasses in Luke warm water, the glue starts to go back to White until they dry out. Or is there a spray sealer anyone can recommend please?
    Many thanks
    Mandy

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Mandy! For right now it’s only available at Michaels, they have the exclusive license for 6 months… but I checked with my pals at MSC and they said that by March 1st it will be available online – if not sooner! Yay! ***And no, this is the best glue for this project!

13. Rhonda says:

Hi there. Thanks for the tutorial! I’ve been experimenting with the Martha Stewart dishwasher-safe decoupage. It works perfectly to “glue” the glitter to the glass; however, when applying it as a top-coat sealant, it dulls the sparkle of the glitter significantly. Do you have any recommendation for a sealer that will maintain both the ability to wash and also the sparkle?

PS: I also tried the new Mod Podge Dishwasher Safe (produced by the same company that makes the Martha Stewart line). It worked equally well as a glue, but also dulled the glitter when used as a top coat. The products seemed very much the same.

Thank you!

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Rhonda! Which finish are you using?? We only recommend using the MSC ‘multi-surface durable gloss’ or ‘high gloss thick coat’ finishes. In this tutorial we used the durable gloss and I think the amount of sparkle has relatively stayed the same. *Make sure to roll the bottle around on your table to mix the glue. Hope this helps!

• Rhonda says:

Thanks so much for the reply. I used the MSC Multi-Surface Durable Gloss. I followed the instructions on the label, and rolled it around before using. Unfortunately, all of the glitter colors I tried were dulled when using it as a sealant / top-coat. I took pictures at each stage so I could tell the difference… not as sparkly after using it as a top-coat. :-(

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Well… that’s making me think there might be something wrong with your batch of decoupage glue – unless the shine in my ‘hero’ shot looks the same as your glasses do. There was no photoshop done to make these glasses look shinier – and I photographed them after the top coat was dry.

14. Rachel M says:

Do you think Mod Podge- Gloss will work the same?

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Rachel. No. The decoupage glue that you use NEEDS to be dishwasher safe – which Martha Stewarts is. I know that Mod Podge is coming out with a dishwasher safe version soon though~ hope this helps!

15. Maribeth says:

Hello! I love the tutorial and all things glitter! Especially that it can be made dishwasher safe!! I was wondering if it would work to combine the glitter paint and the decoupage? I like the softness of the glitter glue on the first tutorial but the seal of the decoupage with this tutorial. Let me know :)
    Maribeth

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Maribeth! I’m sure you can use them both together but there is no need. If you use just MSC glitter paint and let it air dry for 21 days – it is dishwasher safe, just like the decoupage glue. I created this tutorial because there was an overwhelming ‘want’ to use ‘loose glitter’ and not the glitter paint. Hope this helps ;)

16. Tammy Stevenson says:

I can’t locate the Martha Stewart decoupage pictured in your tutorial. I’m only finding the Martha Stewart decoupage glue and sealer. It says nothing about gloss finish. It’s in a small clear bottle with a brush applicator. Is this the same decoupage just different packaging? Thank you!

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Tammy! It is NOT the same decoupage glue… that’s her old stuff with the brush applicator. The new line that I use in this tutorial is only currently available at Michaels. I think their exclusive deal ends at the end of February and then you’ll be able to buy it on Amazon and other online retailers. Don’t use the old stuff, it won’t work ;)

17. michelle abram says:

Hi I’ve been using triple thick to seal the glitter but it looses the shine from the glitter does the gloss sealer loose the sparkle? Which is best to use loose glitter and sealer or glitter paint xx

18. zoe says:

Hi,
    Can i bake these in the oven like the american gloss enamels to speed up drying time?