January 11, 2013

Yeah, Happy DIY Friday!!!! This is our very first DIY tutorial of 2013… and a terrific one at that! Since our ‘poured mason jar candle‘ tutorial from two years ago has been the most viewed post ever on our website… I figured it was about time for a new version… so here it is, the tinted mason jar candle! Correction, this jar isn’t exactly a ‘mason jar’ it’s a jelly jar – did you know that the jelly jar is the new mason jar? In this tutorial we will be covering a few different techniques that in the end create this adorable gift below…

SUPPLIES:

• 12 ounce jelly jars
  • we are using beeswax beads here but we prefer soy wax flakes
  • pouring pot
  • cheap wooden spoon
  • your choice of scent (10z per 1 lb of wax)
  • wick stickums
  • metal wick bar
  • wick core, wick tabs and pliers (or pre-made wicks, they work exactly the same)

4 pounds of wax makes exactly 7 of these 12oz jars – pictured below is one pound.

SUPPLIES CONTINUED:

• Martha Stewart ‘Liquid Fill’ Glass Paint is an absolute MUST for tinting these jars – by far this is the easiest technique for tinting glass jars and has the best range of colors.
  • EK Tools 2 1/4″ inch scallop punch
  • cute stamp and stamp pad
  • hole punch
  • cute twine
  • rubbing alcohol
  • wax paper
  • old wrapping paper roll
  • scissors

mason jar candles weddingPin

This tutorial has quite a few steps and they take time, it could take all weekend to complete this project. You need to tint the jars, cure the jars, pour the candle and decorate… so take your time and have fun crafting!

/////   How to Tint Mason Jars with Martha Stewart Glass Paint   /////

To start you need to clean the outside of your jars with rubbing alcohol…

mason jar candles weddingPin

Using a wrapping paper roll, slice off 2″ sections of the cardboard for your jars to dry on. Next, set up your painting area, it needs to be covered with at least two sheets of wax paper – the paint will bleed through one sheet! Also know that when tinting these jars they literally need to dry for at least 12 hours and you cannot easily move them, so clear an area for them to dry that is out of the way.

how to tint mason jarsPin

Beginning under the lip of your jelly jar start squeezing paint onto the glass, letting it drip down the jar. You need to cover every speck of glass with paint by moving the tip of the bottle around while squeezing the paint out. Once covered the paint will begin to drip excessively – this is what we want. Place the painted jar on your cardboard stand and on top of at least two sheets of wax paper and let it dry for about 12 hours. You will be amazed at how much this paint will drip! Don’t touch it, just let it do it’s thing. When completely dry, carefully pull the cardboard base off the glass – if a little paint comes with it, smooth it back onto the glass and don’t worry about what the bottom looks like! There is a huge difference in color from wet to dry, just like the image below… you will visually be able to tell that the paint is dry.

how to tint mason jarsPin

/////   Martha Stewart ‘Liquid Fill’ Glass Paint Tip   /////

This paint needs to be shaken like a gallon paint can at Home Depot – no joke. After you buy these paints turn them upside down on your counter and let them sit for an hour or two, this lets all the paint pigment that has settled to the bottom of the tube work it’s way back through the paint – then SHAKE before you are going to use the paint. I had hubby do this for me. If you choose not to do this small step, there is a possibility that the paint will dry clear and not beautiful like below. I am telling you this from experience! When you look at these paints you can sometimes see the pigment separation towards the bottom. The colors I used are from left to right, Polar Blue, Freesia, Sweetgrass, Purple Orchid, Red Coral, and Pink Hyacinth.

mason jar candles weddingPin

Per the curing techniques on the bottle and website; either let them air dry for 21 days or oven bake. To oven bake put your completely dry tinted jars in a cold oven, turn it to 350 degrees and set a timer for 30 minutes. When the time is up turn off the oven and let the painted jars cool down completely before removing them from the oven. This glass has NO problem withstanding heat… after all it is a Ball Jar…

how to tint mason jarsPinhow to tint mason jarsPin

/////   How to make your own Wicks   /////

This step is completely optional. You can absolutely use pre-made wicks, I just wanted to show how this is done. Cut your desired length of wicking and thread through an new wick tab. Using a small pair of pliers, crimp the wick tab ends over the wicking to secure it. Purchasing wick supplies and making them yourself can be much more cost effective than buying pre-made wicks – especially if you are making lots of wedding favors!

how to make your own wicksPinhow to tint mason jarsPin

Next, place your wicks into your beautifully tinted jars. First apply wick stickums to the bottom of each wick, drop the wick into your jar and using a pencil or the like, press the stickum securely to the bottom of the jar.

mason jar candles weddingPin

Using a wick holder tie and secure your wick above the top of the jar so there is no slack.

mason jar candles weddingPinmason jar candles weddingPin

/////   Pouring your own Candle   //////

There are many ways to melt and pour your own candles – here is my simplified version. Carefully melt your wax in a pouring pot over medium heat – DO NOT boil and don’t scorch. I’m using beeswax here, but you can use any kind of candle wax that you would like.

mason jar candles weddingPin

Once completely liquid, turn off the heat and add your scent- a normal measure is 1 ounce of scent oil per 1 pound of wax. You might like to add more or less, or maybe none at all – scent is up to you!

mason jar candles weddingPin

This is an important step; before you pour your candle the wax needs to cool down. To avoid having to use thermometers, a good measure that the wax is ready to pour is when it starts to solidify on the sides of your pot and on your spoon… this usually takes around a half hour. Once the wax has cooled down, pour your candle leaving a little room in case you need to top it off.

mason jar candles weddingPin

This candle cooled wonderfully. But if yours cooled with a crack or divot, just remelt a little left over wax and re-pour the top layer. The important thing to note is that you need to completely cover the top of the candle with your second pour to make it look smooth from edge to edge.

mason jar candles weddingPin

When ready, snip your wick… and your done!

mason jar candles weddingPin

…beautiful, Anthropologie worthy candles! Aren’t they just dreamy…

mason jar candles weddingPin

I also poured a candle into a jar that I didn’t tint… that one is right in front…

mason jar candles weddingPin

These candles would make terrific bridesmaid gifts… they might be a little expensive as favors, but definitely great thank you gifts for special people who helped you with your wedding planning including vendors.

mason jar candles weddingPin

To make these adorable tags you need to find a punch that perfectly fits the inside of your jar. If you are using these exact jelly jars this punch is the only one I could find and it worked perfectly! Purchased on Amazon, link in the credits. Punch cardstock, stamp with a cute stamp and hole punch the middle.

mason jar candles weddingPin

The hole punch allows your wick to go through the adorable tag so it can set flush against the candle wax… so cute!

mason jar candles weddingPin

Just darling! These would also make great additions to your table decor… can you imagine them beautifully lit durring your reception… I can!

mason jar candles weddingPin

As with all our DIY tutorials, if you create one of our projects please send us a picture or a trackback – We Love Seeing Your Creativity! If you use Instagram or Twitter please use the hashtag #SomethingTurquoiseDIY. Happy Crafting!

something turquoise DIY

Photography: Studio 11 // DIY tutorial by: Jen | Something Turquoise // wax, pouring pot, all wick supplies, and scent:  CandlesAndSupplies.com // 12 ounce Ball Quilted Crystal Jelly Jars: Amazon (they are available almost everywhere online but a little tough to find in store) // Martha Stewart Crafts ‘Liquid Fill‘ Glass Paints, wedding ring rubber stamp, Crop-a-dile Hole Punch, and ColorBox Silver stamp pad: Michaels // EK tools 2 1/4″ large scallop punch: Amazon // cover weight cardstock in Superfine White and cute twine: Paper-Source // small Craftsman pliers: Sears // nail polish: OPI Get me to the Taj on Time, OPI Designer.. De Better

51 Responses to “DIY | tinted mason jar candles”

1. Jamie says:

This is perfect! My grandmother used to use jelly jars as drinking glasses so when she passed away I took a bunch of them. For my remembrance table I want to put candles in jelly jars that are the color of the wedding…PERFECT!

2. [...] you loved this poured candle tutorial… then you will love our latest version of this project! The Tinted Mason Jar Candle! Color the jar instead of coloring the [...]

3. Vanessa says:

Lovely Idea, delightful colors.

4. Evelina says:

I made the jars using this tutorial and the candle using the original tutorial with the soy kit from eBay. Unfortunately, I’m having a problem with the Martha Stewart ‘Liquid Fill’ Glass Paint. After I completed 1 jar and let it dry, I shook the bottle as you suggested and let it sit overnight. I wanted to paint another jar but the paint refused to come out. I thought I could unclog it by unscrewing the tip from the bottle, running it under hot water, and clearing the tip with a needle, but it didn’t work. It’s as if there is an invisible force blocking the paint from coming out. Did you experience this with any of the bottles? If I get too frustrated, I may take it back to Michael’s Crafts and exchange it for another bottle.

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Evelina! The only issue I had with the liquid fill paint was the pigment problem I described in my post. A few of the bottles I’ve used did have a slight clogging issue so I used a needle to scrape away any dried paint from the inside of the cap and along the inside if the bottle opening. If you are careful, you might be able to pour the paint onto the jar with the lid off. It sounds like you did a thorough job of cleaning the cap so if your problem persists I’m sure Michaels will exchange the bottles for you. Hope this helps!

• Evelina says:

Thanks, I’ll try one more time to clean it before exchanging it. I will send pictures of my finished jars when I take some good ones. The candle kit from eBay was great, thank you for sharing it. I can’t believe how easy it is to make candles now.

5. Evelina says:

**sit overnight upside down

6. Casey says:

I love your blog- you did a great job with this post. I followed all of your steps but I’m having a major problem with the results. When we squeeze the liquid fill over the jar it looks very transparent and is drying almost crystal clear! We put the bottles upside down for about 90 min and then shook it to death. We are using glass paint liquid fill transparent in bright sky. Do you think we have a bad batch of paint, are using the wrong color – I’m at my wits end! Any advice you give would be SO wonderful. Thanks!

Ps to the other lady with the problem with paint coming out I had the same problem and realized there’s a tiny cover on the bottle opening when you unscrew the cap!

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Casey, I am so sorry you are having troubles with your project! Since you did the upside down/shaking trick, you should not be having issues with the pigment. Can you see a darker line of pigment gathered at the bottom of the paint container? If not, I would say that you might have a bad batch of paint. If you can, that means the paint needs to sit upside down for a longer amount of time – try overnight. The paint pigment needs to be evenly distributed for this technique to work – which is what this specific paint is created to do! Hope this helps! *ps – the other gal had already painted one jar :)

7. Casey says:

I think we finally got it to work! We went back to a different Michael’s and bought the same blue you used. It’s still drying but it looks 10000% better! Unfortunately while it was drying two of them tipped over and smudged but we’ll be making much more. Thanks again!

8. [...] can transform. We recently discovered a great project that highlights this item very well. Jen of Something Turquoise created these mason jar candles. They are [...]

9. Karla Porter says:

My compliments on your superb tutorial skills. The project is beautiful too and with this level of detail anyone should be able to have great success. I am tempted myself =).

10. Jessica Poret says:

I’m having the hardest time finding the liquid fill. I used your link in the credits, but I cannot purchase from that site. I’ve looked everywhere and cannot find it for sale. Any ideas?

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Jessica, I didn’t purchase my Martha Stewart’s Liquid Fill Glass paint online – I bought them at my local Michaels craft store. Most crafting stores should carry this line by now, it was released about 7 months ago. If you aren’t near a craft type store, you can find all the colors online at ShopPlaidOnline.com. Here is a link: http://shop.plaidonline.com/martha-stewart-crafts-glass-paint/169/product.htm – just make sure to choose the ‘liquid fill’ finish when searching for your color. Hope this helps :)

11. I love this idea, and tried something similar myself. I put a link back to your blog from my blog. Thanks for sharing!

12. I love this idea. my daughter make candles and I will be sure to pass this along.

13. jennifer says:

I’m trying this fantastic idea today for some Easter decorations & goodies. The paint came out thinner and runny, at least in comparison to your pictures. Any thoughts or suggestions? I shook the paint & had it upside down too.

14. buenas soy angela de colombia quisiera saber que clase de pintura es gracias.

15. Jill says:

How much after it is all said and done would you say each candle costs to make?

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Jill, it completely depends on where you buy your supplies, how cheap you can get them and how large/small the jars are that you are pouring the candles into… that’s why it’s difficult for me to say :)

16. Raelyn says:

Was your purple thinner than the other colors? Used both pink colors and a darker blue and they all were thick like normal craft paint, but the purple I used, which happened to be the same as yours, had the consistency of water. It still tinted well, but was just runny. Did you have that problem?

17. Aubrey says:

How many mason jars will one bottle make?

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Aubrey, as long as you don’t go overboard with painting you should be able to get 8 – 10 of these 12oz jars from one bottle of paint. It’s hard to say exactly how many because it’s so easy to use way too much paint using this technique – so paint slowly :)

• Casey says:

@Aubrey- we used a little less than 1 bottle per 2 gallon mason jar.

18. Candice thacker says:

I will be making these. They are just beautiful.

19. thank you for this tutorial. I am starting to tint mason jars for an upcoming wedding and I need quite a few but I will try this technique as well.

20. Rachel says:

Hi there I’ve been trying this the last couple of days and I’ve followed your steps but my jars end up being covered with tiny air bubbles and just aren’t drying transparent, more opaque :/ just wondered if you had any tips? Thanks!!

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Rachel. It sounds like the paint might be old. It should be very transparent and shiny. On all the jars I have made (not just these) I have had almost no air bubbles at all. Can you return the paints where you purchased them and get new ones? **Also, the jars you have painted are fresh and you want to remove the paint to start over, simply soak them in water for a half hour and you will be able to wipe the paint right off!

21. Danielle says:

WOW! What a great idea and I love that you tinted the jars too!

I’m hosting a crafting link party today and the featured supply this week is mason jars. This project would fit in perfectly! I’d love for you to link it up here.

Danielle at Framed Frosting

22. [...] after much research and a few trial and errors, I was thrilled to find a tutorial that worked on Something Turquoise. The tutorial is actually for a mason jar candle favor, but I just followed the directions for [...]

23. Savannah says:

Where did you find the ring stamp? I want to do these as party favors for an engagement party and the ring stamp would set them off perfectly! Also, does it matter if I use soy versus beeswax? I see that there is a price difference, but want to make sure I am making a quality product. What do you suggest?
    Thank you!

24. Leah says:

What a great project! I am thinking about tinting the jars I am using for centerpieces, but wanted to get an idea of how much paint I would need. I am using a 16 oz jar, 32 oz jar, and 64 oz jar on each table. There will be six tables, so I will need to do a total of 18 pretty large sized jars. Any guesses on the # of bottles of paint I would need?
    THANKS!

25. Kate says:

I tried to paint a mason jar with MS Liquid Fill (in pink) and I had the same problem as Rachel. Tiny air bubbles all over and the paint refuses to dry. It’s streaky and darker than it should be (not “tinted” or transparent but more like “translucent”). I think it may be either the paint (I bought a set of 12 from Amazon) or the humidity so when the weather is nicer, I’ll try again.

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Kate, that sounds strange – it shouldn’t do that. It might be that the paint is old. See if Amazon will take it back!

26. […] just how much I love and appreciate them. If I have some time to do something DIY, I think these jam jar candles are just precious! […]

27. Mazie says:

Have you tried to do this with more than one color? I want to do stripes with it….

28. Jacob Cook says:

Where can i find the paint?,and would this work with quart size mason jars and could i still stick them in the oven?

29. […] can make your own wicks (details here) or purchase them. Simply slip them in the hole! Press the wick clip base firmly into the wax so […]

30. […] – Lovely to give as favors are these homemade candles in tinted mason jars, from Something Turquoise. The candle-making process is great for the crafty bride. But if you find it a bit intimidating, […]

31. […] was inspired to get Martha Stewart Glass paint because I saw the awesome idea on this blog. I purchased the Martha Stewart liquid fill which will tint the glass as well as a transparent […]

32. Kathy Gatley says:

Your mason jars are beautiful! Would love doing this for my mom at Mother’s Day, but I was wondering if the paint washes off-seen a lot done that you can’t wash because of this issue.

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Kathy! Nope, the paint doesn’t wash off (if cured correctly, details in tutorial) – that’s the beauty of the Martha Stewart Glass Paint!

33. Marie says:

What color green did you use (key lime, sweetgrass, or kelp)?

Thanks!

34. Tiffany says:

Hi, great tutorial! My question really comes from the angle of doing it wrong. I tinted my jars yesterday… I shook it fairly well (maybe not well enough) but I am not happy with the end result. When you were unhappy with yours, did you remove the paint and begin again? I’m trying to avoid buying new jars but I understand if there are no other options.

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Tiffany! Yes, you can remove the paint by soaking the jars in water – and then scrubbing the paint off with a sponge. Make sure that all the pigment that’s settled on the bottom of the bottle of paint has been mixed up. The hubby shook mine for me, really give it a good shake – even let it sit upside down for a few hours. The end result is worth it!!! ***if it happens again, or only to some colors, the paint might be bad.

35. Fran says:

I’m new to this site and find it wonderful. But I have one question for you,
    Do you think I would be able to put a second coat of paint on the
    jar just to make it a little darker? P.S. I love anything made with mason jars.

36. Felicia says:

Hello, I am buying the supplies today to get started!!! How easy will the paint come off with water? I am wanting to make one for my kids bathroom to hold there tooth brushes and paste and they always have a few drops of water when there done brushing? Would hate to do all the work and mess it up within a few days of a few water drops…. And since the paint is on the outside of the jar is it safe to drink from? Thanks in advance:)

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

As long as you let the glasses dry for 21 days (air cure) or oven cure as instructed – the paint will not come off… unless it’s let to soak in water for days (I did that, oops). **Your lips aren’t supposed to touch the paint at all. Hope this helps!

37. Felicia says: