March 2, 2012

It has long been a wedding tradition to create a ‘rehearsal bouquet’ for the bride, at her bridal shower – out of all the ribbons and bows from her gifts. When rehearsing for your wedding, it is truly important to rehearse everything – like what you are to do with your bouquet during the actual ceremony. Ask a bridesmaid or a crafty friend to create this adorable ‘bow-quet’ for you as you are opening your bridal shower gifts… and use it during your wedding rehearsal.

Make a wedding rehearsal bouquet out of all the bows from your bridal shower!Pin

SUPPLIES:

• bows, ribbons, and extras from your bridal shower gifts
  • tape
  • scissors
  • paper plate – two if you have a lot of ribbons!

We are going to start by making the ribbon base to tie all your bows onto… get your plate {I used two on top of each other for strength – I had a lot of bows!} and start by stabbing scissors or a knife through your plates at two points across from each other.

Then insert your ribbon, I used my scissors to help gently push the ribbon through the plate.

Tie a knot on the backside.

Now we are going to do it again. Stab with your scissors and insert a second piece of ribbon to make an x. This creates and extremely steady and large base to tie all your ribbons and bows onto.

Tie a knot with the second ribbon, then tie a large knot with all the ribbons. This is the base of your bouquet and what the bride will hold onto.

Now the process of adding ribbons and bows! Since this can be done at the shower (my fav!) or at home… just go with what you get… keep tying and building!

Think about form and spacing… add a little here and a little there…

You will get all kinds of gift extras or package tie ons… put those on too! Like this cute feather, tape it on!

Keep tying and taping, it’s becoming so cute!

Most bows will not stick to your plate with the original sticky back, so just tape them on.

Keep packing it in… it’s my favorite to watch the bouquet grow at the bridal shower!

Cut extra pieces that are too long, fluff your bows and ribbons… to finish the ‘bow-quet!

As with all our DIY tutorials, if you create one of our projects please send us a picture or a trackback – We Love Seeing Your Creativity! If you use Instagram or Twitter please use the hashtag #SomethingTurquoiseDIY. Happy Crafting!

something turquoise DIY

Photography: Studio 11 // Diy: Jen | Something Turquoise // Plates: Alin Party Supply // Ribbons and Bows: honestly it was my birthday two weeks ago and I saved the ones I got… I bought a few… and made the rest :) // blue flower, white feather, and tape ring: Michaels // dress: Express like 7 years ago! // nail polish: Essie – Turquoise & Caicos, my fav!

26 Responses to “DIY | bridal shower ribbon bouquet”

1. Thank you for this! I have a friend’s bridal shower coming up and I’m sure I’ll be the one making this, good to know what I am doing! :-D

2. Vanessa says:

Very cute!

3. Very clever idea. Just wondered, will the paper plate get bowed if you tighten the ribbon to tight?

4. [...] DIY Friday: make a ribbon bouquet for your wedding rehearsal [...]

5. Heather says:

What did you use for the stem?

6. Jackie says:

I’m going to make this right now! Best pattern I’ve found! Thanks!

7. Marie says:

Thank you for this step by step process and al the detailed pictures of the step by step process this will be a huge help for me when I finally go to make my friends bouquet for her rehersal next weekend.

8. Tamara says:

Thank you so much! I told my best friend I would create her ribbon bouquet for the rehearsal because I’m the crafty and creative one, but I have been so intimidated by the task because I haven’t quite been sure where to start and what to do! This is an awesome tutorial and I’m getting to work on her bouquet right now (which is good…her rehearsal is tomorrow!) You’re such a lifesaver!!!

9. Heather D. says:

This is a great tutorial, I made my future sis-in-laws rehearsal bow-quet in less than 30 mins. I could send a pic but i’m not sure where to send it too on here. My sis-in-law was also insistent that I use the toilet paper bouquet that was made for the maid of honor during the toilet paper bride dress game and I managed to incorporate that in the bow-quet too. :)

10. [...] to assign someone to write down gifts and who they came from! Also don’t forget to make the bow bouquet for the rehearsal [...]

11. Emary says:

This worked great! I used a 8in. by 8in piece of cardboard and rounded the edges because i did not have a paper plate handy, it seemed to help with the sturdiness

12. Danessa says:

I have 2 bridal shower bouquets. What is the etiquette for using them during the rehearsal? I don’t want to offend either of the ladies that threw me the party (and spent so much time on the bouquets).
    Thanks!

• Jen | Something Turquoise says:

Hi Danessa! Well, the reason for using the bridal shower ribbon bouquet during your wedding rehearsal is so that you can get a feel for what to do with your real bouquet during your ceremony. Most of the time you will hand it off to your Maid of Honor and she will hand it back to you before you walk down the aisle as Mr + Mrs. Why don’t you use one of your ribbon bouquet’s and let your Maid of Honor use the other, she will after all have to deal with holding your real bouquet and her’s during your ceremony – so it could give her good practice too! Hope this helps!

13. Kim says:

Thank you! This is so helpful! I followed the simple instructions and my bowquet turned out great. I think my sister will love it.

14. Lindsey says:

This tutorial is the bomb!! Super easy and I love that it’s so easy to customize with tulle and plate color. Thanks so much for posting!!

15. [...] “He Says She Says” Game, Ribbon Bouquet, Dixie [...]

16. Ciara says:

Hello – how exactly do u get the bows to stay on the bouquet? And also, any idea for how to make a solid stem? Thanks!

17. Mickey says:

Searched online and yours is the best I’ve seen! Thanks for the step by step instructions and pictures, you made it very easy. Mine turned out great, I can’t wait for my daughter to see it, she will be so surprised.

18. Thank you! I had no clue how to do this.

19. Thank you! I had no clue how to do this.

20. […] Bouquets- typically as gifts are opened all of the ribbons are saved and a “hat” for the bride to be is maid; this is a great photo but also doubles as a bouquet for the rehearsal.   Plus, it’s fun to keep in mind when shopping for the wrapping! […]

21. Thank you! I had no clue how to do this.