Hey bridal babes!
This past weekend I had my first fitting for my wedding dress since first laying eyes on her last December!! Trying her on again was seriously just like the first time, so whimsical and romantic; all the feels! I took her home with me on Saturday and it felt like the biggest responsibility, I was my dress’ bodyguard, I would not fail her. Thankfully, the awesome people from Now & Forever Bridal double bagged my dress so my fiancé wouldn’t be able to see and we made it home safely. I talked to the ladies at Now & Forever about how brides can come prepared to their appointment and below are the tips they shared with me!
WEDDING DRESS SHOPPING 101
- When to Buy: The best time to buy is six-eight months before the wedding. This gives the designer enough time to make the gown and will give you enough time to make necessary alterations. Don’t wait too long to choose and buy your dress, because this will limit your selection.
- Silhouette: I’m sure your Pinterest board is full of wedding dresses you are in love with, bring those screenshots to your appointment or wedding magazine pages torn out for inspiration of what kind of shape, neckline, and material you are looking for. Going in with even the slightest idea of a vision will save you lots of frustration.
- Budget: Know your budget ahead of time including alterations, veil, jewelry, lingerie, etc. DO NOT let the sales associates show you any dresses that are out of your budget unless they ask if that is okay with you and the person footing the bill if you aren’t paying for the dress. Period.
- Undergarments: When you try on wedding dresses it is a whole show. When I was trying dresses on my sales associate stayed in the room with me and I was thinking to myself, “I got this, I don’t need any help putting a dress on”, boy was I wrong. I definitely needed her help – I almost fell twice! You’ll be getting close and personal with your sales rep so make sure you have shaved, waxed, have pretty undies on, etc. because by the end of your appointment, you’ll be on a first name basis… Hey, Lindsay :)
- Entourage: Having your loved ones during this special moment is so important, it’s great to have that support system while you decide on THE dress. Just make sure to always stand your ground, if you absolutely love a certain dress and someone in your party doesn’t that’s okay because at the end of the day you are the one who will be wearing it and the only opinion that really matters is yours. Trust your instincts.
Bell Sleeves & Bows
Hayley Paige Spring 2018 & Sachin & Babi Spring 2018
Capes & Jumpsuits
Berta Spring 2018 & Naeem Khan Spring 2018
Feathers & Tiers
Mira Zwillinger Spring 2018 & Ines Di Santo Spring 2018
Corsets & Black Detail
Berta Spring 2018 & Marchesa Spring 2018
Overskirts & Pearls
Francesca Miranda Spring 2018 & Reem Acra Spring 2018 All Images: FirstView via: Martha Stewart Weddings